Thursday, May 31, 2012

If you could ask God one question...

What would it be?

I heard this on the radio this morning and it really got me thinking. What would I ask? One question immediately came to mind. "God, why did you take away my baby?" As I sat and thought about it, I realized the answer wouldn't tell me what I wanted to hear. God would probably say something like "His life is better here in my care than it would have been on earth." or "I am growing you through this loss, and one day you will be reunited with him." To that I respond, "REALLY God?? That's it??" and I realize that no answer to this question would truly satisfy me.

Then I thought some more about it and realized how selfish it would be for me to ask that. First off, who am I to question God's plan for my life? Second, if I'm the only person who gets an answer to a question, wouldn't it be better served in another way?

"God, how do I rid the world of hunger?"
"God, how can we achieve world peace?"
"God, how do we reach the Muslim world for you?"
"God, when is Jesus coming back?"

It's so easy to get caught up in our own pain and suffering and miss what else is going on in the world. I am currently in the youth ministry at my church, and after our loss, one of the first things I wanted to do was to go back and continue serving. I have a fantastic community of co-leaders who may not understand my circumstances or pain, but they understand that I hurt and have been there to hug me, let me cry on their shoulders, and stand by my side and pray for me. Even my students stepped up to minister to me after our loss. It's so amazing to see how God rewards us, in a heavenly way, for our service to His kingdom. 

If you could ask God one question, what would it be, and why? I'd love to see some responses in the comments if you have a moment to spare :)

No comments:

Post a Comment