Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Guest Post Wednesday: "My name is Sarah"

Today's post is by a dear friend who helped me through the darkest hours following my miscarriage... I'm honored to have her share her story with you today! (it's worth the long read!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Sarah, and I am one in four.   My name is Sarah, and I am one in four.  My name is Sarah, and I am one in four.  My name is Sarah and I am one in four.
My name is Sarah and I have lost four beautiful children. 

Thinking back to those moments certainly dig up painful feelings, but I want to share my story.  It is my prayer that my words will not return void, but will be a comfort for someone else.  I pray that through my story you will see the kindness of the Lord as he upheld me through each loss.    

“Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!”
Psalms 103:1

Early in the fall of 2005, I discovered I was pregnant.  My husband and I had waited for about 5 years before we started “trying”.  Needless to say, I was very much elated when Miss Flo missed her monthly appointment!  I wanted to find a cool way to share this with my husband, so I quickly calculated my due date and then bought a Cleveland Browns outfit that would fit the baby during football season.  I remember feeling so blessed that I was carrying a child.  That day will still live in my memory as one of the best days of my life.   After I shared with my husband, we decided to tell our friends and family almost immediately.  All of a sudden, I saw pregnant ladies everywhere I went and even found out that a friend of mine was due about a week before I was.  She and I went out for (decaf) coffee to bond over our newly discovered pregnancies.  However, unbeknownst to me, my child had already gone to be with the Lord.  

I discovered my loss around week 7 as I had begun to bleed.   My doctor at the time confirmed that I was indeed miscarrying; the baby had only made it to about 6 weeks of life, and began to share with me some facts about miscarriage.  It was at the point I heard the statistic of 1 in 4 pregnancies result in a loss.  I allowed nature to take its course and passed the remains of my pregnancy at home.  To be honest, I have never fully recovered from losing my child.  There are days that I grieve this loss as intensely as the day when I first found out.  Every time I see my friend’s little girl, I am reminded that, had I carried my child to term, he or she would be in first grade probably with a gap-toothed grin and I’d be playing the part of the Tooth Fairy.  Even though losing that child was difficult, I knew the Lord was near to me and laid with me in the darkness as I silently cried over the emptiness I felt.  I chose to bless His holy name. 

“These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.”
1st Peter 1:7

It was in June of 2006 that I discovered I was once again pregnant.  Cautiously elated, I shared the news with my husband and we decided to only tell family and close friends.  But once again I began to bleed.  My heart stopped the minute I saw the evidence that I was, once again, going to lose another child.  I had begun to bleed over the weekend and quietly passed my baby at home yet again.  I was 8 weeks pregnant.  I remember crying out to the Lord in anguish and asking, “Why me?”  The answer was, “Why not you?”  As a Christian, I am not guaranteed that life will go smoothly and be perfect.  I am not guaranteed that I will not experience loss in one way or another.  All I know is that my God is a God of love and that, through my losses, His glory would be shown. 

“For I the LORD your God will hold your right hand, saying to you, Fear not; I will help you.”
Isaiah 41:13

Later that year, in the fall, I discovered, yet again, that I was pregnant.  Shaken by my previous miscarriages, I was understandably nervous.  At this point, I had a new doctor who told me that most miscarriages happen within the first 8 weeks and once we heard or saw a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage drops dramatically.  I had an ultrasound and we saw my baby’s heartbeat.  Comforted by this fact, I nervously waited for those weeks to fly by until I was out of the “danger zone” and they did.  I can remember the slight panic I would feel every time I went to the bathroom.  What I would see?  I couldn’t help but to wonder if I would find evidence that I was going to lose another child.    However, the Lord saw it fit to bless me with a child and on June 26, 2007, I delivered a healthy baby boy. 

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you, not to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

In early October of 2008, I found out that I was with child yet again.  Still feeling the pain of my previous miscarriages, but bolstered by the birth of my son, I was cautiously optimistic about this pregnancy.  However, like in the other two, I began to bleed around week 9.  I started scouring the Internet for stories of women who had bled but went on to deliver healthy babies.  I hung on to every word in every story and prayed that I, too, would be able to add my story to theirs.  I went in for an ultrasound, and took a VHS tape with me, confident that I was not in the process of losing my baby, but was having some bleeding that was “normal”.  As I stared at the screen of wavy grey, white and black lines, I searched eagerly for some sign of life.   I could tell by the face of the technician that the news was not favorable.  She quietly stopped the ultrasound, handed me back my VHS tape and very kindly directed me to wait in the waiting room to see the doctor.   I could not believe it; I had lost another child.  My doctor told me that this child had lived for approximately 8 weeks.  

My soul was crushed.  My heart was in shreds as I listened to his words.  The moment seemed so surreal—to be honest, I had a very hard time believing it was true.  I went home that afternoon and watched the ultrasound tape over and over again wanting so very much to see what the trained ultrasound technician and doctor couldn’t—a sign that my baby was alive.   I grasped onto the stories I read on the Internet of women who had an ultrasound confirm that their child was no longer alive, but then, miraculously delivering a healthy baby.  Due to age of my baby, I was scheduled for a D & C, and even asked upon waking if the doctor was sure my baby was dead.  I screamed and raged at God for quite some time after that.  I was so angry that women who didn’t even care for their children were having babies like rabbits, yet I, had lost my third child.  I didn’t understand the purpose of everything I was going through.  I struggled to understand why the Lord was allowing this to happen to me when He promised to love me. 

It was during this time and through my raging storm that I heard the Lord speak to my soul.  He reminded me of the time when Jesus was walking on water and his disciple, Peter, wanted to walk to him.  Every time Peter took his eyes off the Lord, he began to sink in the waves with the wind threatening to overtake him.  Peter cried out to the Lord to save him, and in typical Jesus fashion, He said, “You of little faith, why do you doubt?”  The Lord knows my future.  He knows my path.  He truly knows what is best.  I chose to cling to this promise instead of push away from the Lord. 

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.”
Romans 5:3-5 

A few months later, I conceived another child and thankfully the Lord saw fit to allow me to carry this child to term.  In September of 2009, I gave birth to a beautiful daughter, Isabel.  She is so full of life and radiates love.

“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
John 16.33

In November of 2011, my husband and I were given the gift of pregnancy once more.   We were able to see the heartbeat on the ultrasound around 6 weeks, but little did I know that would be the only time I would see my child on this side of eternity.  My baby died shortly after that, however, my body did not reject the pregnancy until my 10th week.  As with the last pregnancy, I had a D & C.   While I deeply grieved the loss of this child, much like I did the others, I also had a total feeling of peace that surrounded me.  I knew that the Lord was going to use my story and my life to bring comfort and peace to others.  I knew that the Lord’s glory, love, and peace would be brought to light through my story. 

People often ask me how I did it, how have I survived the loss of four children?  On this side of things, I can answer honestly that I only survived because the Lord carried me through each and every loss.  The Lord wept with me as I wept over each child I would never hold or kiss.    The Lord sat beside me as I raged at Him for putting me through this the first time and then again each subsequent time.  The Lord cried over the breaking of my heart as I cried over the loss of my child.  The Lord never left my side and He will never leave yours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You too can share your story!! Send me an email at sarah.myheartsmusings@gmail.com and I can help you get it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment