Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Vulnerability

When you're having a down day and someone asks you how you're doing, do you respond with "I'm good!" or do you take a moment, think about how you are, and answer truthfully "I'm not doing so great."

Too many times in my life I've felt, and given in to, the temptation to just brush off how I'm feeling for a variety of reasons. I'm too busy. They don't really want to know. It will take too long to explain. It's none of their business. They'll pity me. They'll go gossip about me.

Vulnerability in our culture is seen as a sign of weakness. Unfortunately this is so far from the truth. I view vulnerable people as the most honest, because they're willing to admit when not everything in their life is going according to the "great American plan."

I have been learning in the past few weeks to be vulnerable with people. Yes, there are inappropriate times to tell the entire context of why you're having a bad day/week/year. However, I want you to respect yourself and when people ask how you're doing, be real. You might be shocked at how understanding people are!

If you don't want to tell someone your whole story, do what I do. If they ask why you're not doing great, just say "I have just been going through a lot of stuff in my life right now." and you'll be surprised how many people won't nose further! I really hope you'll all step forward and when someone asks you how you're doing, you take a moment and really answer them truthfully!! No one is doing perfect everyday!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you haven't shared your story of pregnancy loss or infant loss on my blog yet and you'd like to, please send me an email at sarah.myheartsmusings@gmail.com so we can reach more people through our varied trials!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if you've seen this but I thought you might enjoy... http://www.999reasonstolaugh.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very helpful to reply with, "Today isn't a good day." This was effective especially for those who knew my situation. Love you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete